Marriage licenses are issued to applicants on the spot. A marriage license is valid for 90 days. There are no citizenship or residency requirements, nor are blood tests required to obtain a marriage license. Applicants must be over 18 years old.
Couples can begin the process for submitting an application for a marriage license online, however, the application must be completed in person. Appointments are accepted but not required.
Online applicants are given priority. Walk in applicants are taken on a first-come, first-served basis. Afternoons and Fridays are the busiest times.
The fee for a marriage license in Orange County is $61. Payment can be made by cash, personal check, cashier’s check, money order, Discover, American Express, MasterCard/Visa Credit and Debit.
To start the process online click here.
To complete the application for a marriage license, a couple must:
- Appear together in person.
- Each present one form of a valid non-expired photo identification (such as a driver’s license or passport).
- Select the name each wishes to use after marriage, to be listed on the marriage license. Couples are not required to change their names nor are they required to take the same name. However, if a name change is desired, it must be correctly reflected before the marriage license is signed. Once the license is signed, names can only be changed by a court order.
- Both individuals must be able to read, speak and understand English. If not, the couple must bring a third party translator to obtain a license and to have a ceremony performed. The department does not provide translation services.
- If divorced within the last 90 days, please provide a certified copy of the divorce decree. If a spouse is deceased within the previous 90 days, please provide a certified copy of the death certificate.